Friday, May 11, 2012

The Soul Corner - Tyrone Davis "Can I Change My Mind"

"Aww, she didn't bat an eye, as I packed my bags to leave..."
Hindsight, being a little better in most cases, can cause us to look back with regret. Sometimes, that regret can hurt bad.
Tyrone Davis knows all about that in his 1968 breakthrough hit "Can I Change My Mind". Unfortunately, sometimes the answer to that rhetorical question is no. But Davis pleads his case here with eloquence and beauty and some monster pop hooks.

Tyrone Davis was born in Mississippi but moved to Chicago to start his music career. Prior to his string on hits, he once served as a personal chauffeur to bluesman Freddie King.
"Can I Change My Mind" reached #1 on the R&B charts immediately following Marvin Gaye's "I Heard It Through the Grapevine" and immediately before Sly & the Family Stone's "Everyday People". That is running with the big dogs right there.

No comments: